The best mashed potatoes recipe is also the simplest. Potatoes like it simple. They are the most humble of all vegetables, and still, potatoes can be used in so many different types of dishes and be prepared in almost any imaginable way.
But the best, in my opinion, is simple.
Mashed potatoes is true comfort food. And homemade potato mash is both simple and healthy to do.
This recipe uses very little skim milk and just a small piece of butter.
But I find it fantastic also without milk at all, and no butter either! Just use some of the cooking liquid. This would make it great for Vegans as well. It also works well to replace the milk with some soy-milk.
How to Make the Best Mashed Potatoes
Here is what you’ll need:
- 2-3 medium potatoes per person, peeled and quartered.
- enough water to cover the potatoes
- a little sea salt
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- a little skim milk, or reserved liquid from the potatoes
- optional: 1 Tbs. butter
- some salt and pepper
- a sprinkle of nutmeg
This is what you’ll do:
- Put the potatoes and whole garlic cloves in a pot lightly
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium and let slowly boil for 20 minutes.
- Test with a stick to see when the potatoes are soft.
- Drain and reserve the liquid.
- Mash the potatoes and garlic. I use a potato press (IKEA has one that’s great!) and simply press it all (pressed potatoes is great and fun to eat too!). But you can just use a fork instead.
- Add the milk or reserved liquid, a little at a time while mixing the mash.
- Taste with salt and pepper, maybe butter, and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
- That’s it. Your mashed potatoes are done!
Goes Well With:
- Vegetarian Meatloaf
- Vegetarian Nut Roast
- Veggie Burgers
- Stuffed Peppers